Summer 2017 “pilot” activities
We’re ‘piloting’ several exciting activities over the coming months, particularly across the school holidays, to test ideas from the developing Activity Plan for The Hold:
A touring exhibition – exploring the story of the Red Barn Murder at Polstead, and using this as a springboard to explore other themes. The exhibition is free and can be seen at the following venues:
- Waterfront Building, Ipswich (11th – 18th Sept)
- Bury Record Office (18th – 25th Sept)
- Moyses Hall, Bury St Edmunds (25th – 30th Sept)
- Sudbury Library (2nd – 9th Oct)
- Mildenhall Library (10th – 17th Oct)
- Further dates and venues to be confirmed shortly!
An Oral History event was held at the Waterfront by the site of The Hold on 14 and 15 July. See here for further details.
A ‘TED-style talk’ – students from the University of Suffolk are writing, producing and performing a filmed inspirational talk on the theme of Fake News, exploring the nature of trust in archives. Want to be in the live audience? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
There will also be a series of travelling oral history ‘roadshow-style’ events for our ‘Great Suffolk Mantelpiece Project‘. These will record family stories based on the treasured objects and images on their mantelpiece or mantelpiece equivalent (e.g. a shelf, top of a sideboard etc.). Dates and venues as follows:
- Brandon Country Park, Thurs 21st September 2017 9.30am – 4.30pm
- Woodbridge Library, Fri 29th September 2017 9.30am —4.30pm
- Museum of East Anglian Life, Stowmarket, Thurs 12th October 2017 9.30am —4.30pm
Interested in hearing more? Please email: email@example.com
Blood Red Barn – a play based on the Red Barn Murder was researched, written and produced by a local Bury youth theatre group “Bring out your dead productions” (BOYD) with award-winning playwright Danusia Iwaszko.
The play was presented as a script-in-hand rehearsed reading at the following venues (all performances were ‘sold out!):
- Moyses Hall, Bury St Edmunds on Thursday 10 August
- Quay Place, Ipswich on Friday 11 August
- Polstead Village Hall on 12 August