War and Conflict
Suffolk Record Office holds numerous records on war and conflict in both Suffolk and abroad.
- Our Military Archives page gives details of the collections and material that be helpful for researching military history.
- Suffolk’s Victoria Cross page provides a brief highlight of those men awarded the highest military honour.
- Letters from the Front is the poignant story of the Stopher brothers during World War 1.
Record Office staff and researchers have uncovered other interesting stories including:
- Suffolks in Salonika during World War 1.
- A personal journey through the records of World War 1 – Doug Ireland, one of the Ipswich volunteers, tells us about his own research.
- A Unique Record of Lowestoft in the Second World War – Diaries recording the raids on Lowestoft.
- The Wreck of the Birkenhead: “STAND FAST” .
- The crew of the S. S. Royal Crown – Recording the dead following the attack on the vessel.
- South African War Memorial at Cornhill, Bury St. Edmunds
- NEW! Waller’s Raid in Lowestoft, 13 January 1942
- NEW! Tribulations of the First World War