BRITISH XYLONITE COMPANY LTD AND SUCCESSORS, BRANTHAM, PLASTICS MANUFACTURERS
For ordering, viewing and copying options: please select Ordering and Viewing
- Held At: Suffolk Record Office
- Reference Number: HC410
- Date: 1740-1981
- Level: Collection
- Description: These records are a substantial element of the total archive of the multi-site concern: the British Xylonite Company Ltd from 1877, and BX Plastics Ltd from 1939. They include site and plant records, 1740-1970; administrative records, 1883-1941; directors' working papers, 1878-1972; production records, 1869-1967; technical and laboratory records, 1882-1970; staff, wages, work study and welfare records, 1877-[post-1966]; material concerning the history of xylonite, 1865-1981; publications, 1922-1970; photographic material, 1870s-1977; miscellanea, 1905-1945.
Site, buildings and plant records, Brantham (including Brantham New Village): evidences of title, etc., 1740-1924; registers of capital expenditure votes, 1908-1935; capital votes for improvements,1912-1926; plant applications book, 1933-1936; notebook containing tenders for new buildings and plastics materials stored at Mistley and Ipswich, 1905-1953; fire insurance records, 1926-1946; building development, 1863-1970; railway siding records, 1887-1953; Brantham new village, 1920; spartina grass application, 1920-[post-1931].
Administration: Letter books, etc.: letter books - BX Co. (first series), 1883-1914; letter books - BX Co. (second series), 1890-1935; letter books - general, 1888-1936; letters - Messrs. Hyatt (Homerton), 1889-1907; Merriam family and directors, 1892-1936; L P and C P Merriam, 1886-1909; J S Warburton, 1897-1899; C B Brooke, Junr., 1897-1941; statements, 1888-1936; cottages, 1888-1889; paper drying company, 1894-1911; costs, 1909-1936; benefit clubs, 1912-1934; Bexoid, 1932-1937; letters to Hale End from various departments, 1936-1938; letters to outside firms from various departments, 1936-1938; 'Make' department, 1932-1938.
Directors' working papers: annual reports and balance sheets, 1878-1959; Secretary's letters, 1894-1905; Papers of C F Merriam, 1932-1940; managers' committee, 1942-1953; factory reports, 1939-1958; files - C M Glover, 1945-1966; company accounts - C M Glover, 1952-1962; staff committee - W R Brown, 1948-1951; staff organisation - E H Lewcock, 1953-1972.
Production records: output summary records, 1869-1961; batch records, 1928-1934; miscellaneous papers, 1930-1967.
Technical and laboratory records: papers of Professor John Attfield, 1882-1895; formula books and microfilms, [post-1888]-[pre-1907]; process and formula book - Homerton, [pre-1884]; laboratory books and sheets, 1898-1937; letter books and reports from Laboratory, Acid, Halac, Bexoid, and Synthetic Camphor departments, 1898-1938; description of the Xyloidine department, 1912-c. 1970; laboratory account book, 1921-1926; Synthetic Camphor plant, 1923-1926; temperature and humidity record, 1924-1942; press cuttings books, 1908-1935; records concerning inflammability of celluloid, and fires and explosions, 1881-1963; records concerning World War II German plastics industry, 1945-1947; reprints of technical literature, c.1955-1968; enactments and regulations, 1921-1941; lecture notes on celluloid, c. 1948-1949; competitor review, [post-1939].
Staff, wages, work study and welfare records: time books, 1877-1920; time and wages sheets, 1921-1937; averages of wages calculations, 1921-1932; labour analysis sheets, 1936-1942; production bonus books, 1887-1896; office staff weekly wages books, 1899-1954; sick fund accounts, 1892-1950; savings bank ledgers, 1908-1937; savings bank cash books, 1928-1931; savings certificate registers, 1948-1951; war bank ledgers, 1914-1918; war savings records, 1917-1963; war service records, 1914-1922; holiday (?) pay book, 1919-1937; 'General Bonus Transfer' and dividend books, 1918-1936; pension schemes rules and records, 1938-1960; wages rate book (laid-off staff), 1904-1936; wartime and other wage rates, 1941-1957; wages department letter books, 1936-1938; works rules and regulations, 1923-[post-1966].
Material concerning the history of xylonite and the company: various papers and photographs regarding the early history of xylonite and the company, 1862-1877; early correspondence, 1875-1879; premises at Hackney, 1877; business cards, 1877-1880s; miscellaneous papers and photographs, 1879-1938; price lists of British Xylonite Company and competitors (mainly for cutlery handles), 1920-1957; Parkesine articles in Science Museum, 1934-1944; papers concerning the later history of the company and the industry, 1937-1963; press extracts and newscuttings book, 1945-1981; company structure and re-structuring, c. 1950-c. 1968; company annual reviews, 1953-1958; further miscellaneous papers, 1948-1977.
Publications: technical and product literature, 1940s-1966; 'Xylonite Magazine' and 'BXL Review', 1922-1970.
Photographic material: albums, 1890s-c. 1962; sundry photographs, 1870s-1974.
- Terms:TOYS AND TOY MAKING
- Terms:BOTTLE MAKERS
- Terms:PAPER AND PAPER MAKING
- Terms:BUILDERS AND BUILDING
- Terms:SAVINGS BANKS
- Copyright: The copyright position of this collection is complex and involves both B.X.L. Plastics Ltd. and Wardle Storeys Ltd.
- Access Status: Open
- Searchroom Access Conditions: Open to public access, except for material within last 30 years and certain series of records containing personal information concerning employees, which are closed for 75 years from the latest date of each item. Sick Fund records (HC410/F7) were closed for 50 years from the latest date of each volume. 30 years: HC410/C9 , HC410/G85, HC410G86, HC410/G87, HC410/G88 [all 1977], HC410/G89 , HC410/J2/2 , HC410/J2/3 . 75 years: HC410/F2 , HC410/F3 , HC410/F4 , HC410/F6 , HC410/F8/11 - HC410/F8/17 [various dates from 1926 to 1937], HC410/F9 , HC410/F10 , HC410/F12 , HC410/F14 , HC410/F15 , HC410/F16 , HC410/F17 , HC410/F18 , HC410/F19 . Requests for access to recent material, and for publication, to be referred to depositors.
- Contact: Suffolk Archives, The Hold, 131 Fore Street, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 1LR
Ordering the Document
Sorry, this document cannot be ordered.
There are several reasons why documents cannot be ordered. They may be:
- in such a poor physical state that looking at them would cause damage
- documents containing sensitive personal information about living people
- on loan to another institution
- known to have existed but never received
- temporarily mislaid
- most conveniently consulted in another format, such as on microfilm
- a collection of files or an object rather than a single file or item that can be consulted in the search room
- a library book available on open shelving
In order to ask us direct questions about specific documents and items, we do need you to use your Reader account, please register with us if you do not yet have one. We would like you to register even if you have no intention of visiting us at the Archive, thank you.