Peter Barefoot And Partners, Chartered Architects
For ordering, viewing and copying options: please select Ordering and Viewing
- Held At: Suffolk Record Office
- Reference Number: HG400
- Accession Number: IP/6025
- Accession Number: IP/14624
- Accession Number: IP/14641
- Accession Number: IP/16030
- Date: 20th cent
- Level: Collection
- Description: Rolls of architects' plans including work by H Munro Cautley, A.R.I.B.A., numbered 1-500 with some gaps; photocopies of depositor's list and alphabetical index of clients (held on Record Office files)
Assorted documents and papers relating to the business of Peter Barefoot, including:
Ephemeral items, including folders on Astley Park development and St Barts Hospital
4 photograph albums
Architectural History folder, 1941-1942
Specifications for East Bergholt Pavillion
Contract document for Royal Harwich Yacht Club, 1968
Records re Barefoot/Cautley partnership
2 boxes slides
Concertina file re plans
Additions and extension to 85 Valley Road, Ipswich, 1949, Cautley & Barefoot, 3 drawings
Plans for house for Lesley Barefoot at 3 Graham Road, 1924, 22 drawings
Blueprints for Crital French Doors, 1924 and New Windows & Balcony at Angleside, Graham Road, 19?
Plans for 9 Roseworth Terrace, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1950, 1 drawing
The collection contains material covering nearly 100 years, dating from about 1890. It includes documents, papers, contracts etc relating to the businesses, rolled architects plans, specifications, photograph albums, slides and catalogues and brochures. As well as being of national and regional importance, especially to those studying inter-war architectural activities or post-war modernism, the archive also forms a seamless 'dynastic' architectural tradition in Suffolk, starting with the important Ipswich architect Frederick Barnes (who was the architect of railway stations for the Great Eastern Railway the best of which survive at Needham Market, Stowmarket and Bury St Edmunds) and continuing into the late 20th century.
The plans link to other material in the record office's collections such as Ipswich Borough Council and Felixstowe Urban District Council Building Plans, the archives of Suffolk parish churches and the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich and other national collections including the RIBA and the Church Plans On-line website http://www.churchplansonline.org/
The plans are divided into 2 sections. The first listed by subject: church alterations, war memorials, rectories, hospitals, houses, banks, schools etc. The second list contains drawings mainly from the Peter Barefoot partnerships and date from the late 1950s to 1990s. These include new or additions to private houses, businesses, local authority housing etc.
In 2008 Mr Guy Barefoot, the grandson of Leslie Barefoot, converted the long term loan to a gift.
Henry Munro Cautley (1876-1959) was an Ipswich-based architect with a practice in Ipswich 1901-1957. He designed a number of churches in the Ipswich area, and was also responsible for a number of secular buildings, the most memorable of which is a shopping arcade called The Walk, which he designed with his colleague Leslie Barefoot for Ipswich Borough Council, and which was built 1937-38. Barefoot designed the overall structure and Cautley designed the exquisite neo-medieval detailing. Cautley's best building in Ipswich is probably Ipswich Central Library in Northgate Street. He was also responsible for several Lloyds Banks, including branches in Cambridge, Colchester, Norwich and Kings Lynn.
Henry Munro Cautley was born at Bridge in Kent in 1876, but when he was very young his parents moved to Ipswich, where his father became Curate-in-Charge of the new All Saints church in Chevalier Street. His father later became Rector of Westerfield. Munro Cautley died at home in Ipswich in 1959 and is buried in Westerfield churchyard. His wife, who died the previous year, is buried in the same grave. There is also a memorial to him inside Westerfield church, which includes a portrait, and a memorial to them both at Mildenhall, where the furnishings, designed by Cautley, were given in Mabel's memory.
At the start of the 20th Century, Cautley was still living with his parents in Westerfield rectory, but in 1904 he married the widow Mabel Turner ne Flick, and they lived in her house, Swan's Nest, a large 17th Century house in Westerfield. After 1911, they moved to the house he designed, Drumbeg, at 4 Constitution Hill in north Ipswich.
Cautley was Diocesan architect for the Anglican Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich from its formation in 1911 until the late 1940s. This was a time when not many churches were built in Suffolk, and Cautley designed three for them: St Augustine on Felixstowe Road, St Andrew on Britannia Road, and All Hallows on Landseer Road. He also designed the Bishop's Chapel on Park Road in north Ipswich. However, he was also responsible for overseeing all other architects' designs for restorations and new buildings. He was a strong medievalist, and all his work shows his passion for 15th Century art and architecture.
Cautley designed his own typeface, which can still be seen over the entrance of Cautley and Barefoot's practice in the Cornhill Chambers in the Thoroughfare, and also on the war memorials he designed, of which about half a dozen can be traced in parish churches in the Ipswich area.
Cautley was seen as a leading authority on Suffolk churches, and published "Suffolk Churches and Their Treasures" in 1937. During the course of this work and throughout his time in Suffolk he photographed many of the features found within the county's churches.
Cautley also ventured further afield, producing "Royal Arms and Commandments in our Churches" (published in 1934), which had a national scope, and he also photographed images of churches around the country. The collection of over 1000 of his negatives and lantern slides are held in the SRO - JI5
Herbert John Leslie Barefoot GC (1887 -1958) was born at Dulwich, Surrey only child of Sidney John Barefoot, timber merchant, and his wife Ellen Ann Mary ne Towers, who married at Islington in 1884. Known as Leslie Barefoot he was educated as Dulwich College and then trained as an architect. He married at Croydon, Surrey in 1913, Amy Gladys Goddard (1887-1991) and served in the ranks during the First World War with Royal Army Medical Corps in Egyptian Expeditionary Force (1916-1919) and was mentioned in dispatches. He continued his practice as an architect moving to Ipswich in 1920 with his family and during the inter-war period designed buildings throughout East Anglia and was the architect of the small central pedestrian shopping streets in the centre of Ipswich known as Thoroughfare and The Walk, the latter of which is the site of his blue plaque.
Barefoot was a member and exhibitor at the Ipswich Fine Art Club 1928-1933, exhibiting a watercolour in 1927 'New House, Park Road, Ipswich' and a model of the same house. He was President of the Suffolk Association of Architects 1936-1938 and of the East Anglian Society of Architects in 1938.
Re-joining the army in 1939 in the Royal Engineers he volunteered to form a new unit to deal with unexploded bombs. In 1940 he was awarded the George Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry for actions not involving direct enemy action, 'for most conspicuous gallantry in carrying out hazardous work in a very brave manner.' He was the first Army officer to receive the award and is commemorated by a plaque in Westminster Abbey together with the other recipients. He was promoted major in 1941 and returned to his architectural practice after the war. His medals are currently on display at the Imperial War Museum in London. (http://www.suffolkpainters.co.uk/index.cgi?choice=painter&pid=1339)
Peter Barefoot (1924-Nov 2007) son of Leslie Barefoot architect, and his wife Amy. Peter was a member of Ipswich Art Club in 1942. He married at Westminster, London in 1948, Patience Heaslop Cunningham (1920-1996) and they lived at 6 The Avenue, Ipswich. (http://www.suffolkpainters.co.uk/index.cgi?choice=painter&pid=1340). Guy Barefoot is Peter's son.
Bisshopp & Cautley: In 1901, Munro Cautley joined EF Bisshopp's practice, at 32 Museum Street, Ipswich. - Edward Fernley Bisshopp (1850-1921) was Diocesan architect. They worked on many building in Ipswich including altering the Old Girls High School, Ipswich to a Motor Garage for J R Egerton in 1909. Bisshopp & Cautley remained in partnership for several years. Cautley then work on his own until the 1930's when Leslie Barefoot joined him in partnership as Cautley & Barefoot.
Cautley & Barefoot
Peter Barefoot, architect
Peter Barefoot and Partners
In 1989 Barefoot and Gilles was formed between Peter Barefoot Architects and London Architect Roger Gilles.
- Access Status: Open
- Contact: Suffolk Record Office The Hold, Ipswich, IP4 1LN
Ordering the Document
Sorry, this document cannot be ordered.
There are several reasons why documents cannot be ordered. They may be:
- in such a poor physical state that looking at them would cause damage
- documents containing sensitive personal information about living people
- on loan to another institution
- known to have existed but never received
- temporarily mislaid
- most conveniently consulted in another format, such as on microfilm
- a collection of files or an object rather than a single file or item that can be consulted in the search room
- a library book available on open shelving
In order to ask us direct questions about specific documents and items, we do need you to use your Reader account, please register with us if you do not yet have one. We would like you to register even if you have no intention of visiting us at the Archive, thank you.