LOWESTOFT FISHERMEN'S AND SEAFARERS' BENEVOLENT SOCIETY (formerly LOWESTOFT FISHERMEN'S WIDOWS' AND ORPHANS' FUND)
For ordering, viewing and copying options: please select Ordering and Viewing
- Held At: Suffolk Record Office
- Reference Number: 1758
- Accession Number: L/1758
- Date: 1877-1987
- Level: Collection
- Description: In a storm off Lowestoft in 1877, seven fishing smacks were lost, leaving 14 widows and 28 children in the town unsupported. A relief fund was established at a public meeting on 6 March 1877.
The Permanent Fund for the Relief of Widows, Orphans and Dependent Parents of Fishermen was subsequently founded (in 1879, according to 1758/1/1). Under this organisation and its successors, owners of fishing boats owned or registered at Lowestoft could register their boats with the fund by paying an annual subscription per boat. The dependents of crewmen of a subscribed boat who died at sea, or on shore from an accident at sea, were eligible for allowances from the Fund.
From 1893, the Fund was affiliated to the Royal Provident Fund for Sea Fishermen, and in the minute books is generally referred to until 1919 as The Royal Provident Fund for Sea Fishermen (Lowestoft Branch).
- Access Status: Open
- Contact: Suffolk Record Office Lowestoft Branch, The Library, Clapham Road South, Lowestoft, Suffolk NR32 1DR
Ordering the Document
Sorry, this document cannot be ordered.
There are several reasons why documents cannot be ordered. They may be:
- in such a poor physical state that looking at them would cause damage
- documents containing sensitive personal information about living people
- on loan to another institution
- known to have existed but never received
- temporarily mislaid
- most conveniently consulted in another format, such as on microfilm
- a collection of files or an object rather than a single file or item that can be consulted in the search room
- a library book available on open shelving
In order to ask us direct questions about specific documents and items, we do need you to use your Reader account, please register with us if you do not yet have one. We would like you to register even if you have no intention of visiting us at the Archive, thank you.