K is for Kesgrave Hall
This 19th century engraving from the Ipswich Record Office Prints Collection (ref PT) shows Kesgrave Hall built in 1812 for William Cunliffe-Shawe, who was MP for Preston in Lancaster and had estates in Suffolk. He gave the Hall to his son Robert Newton Shawe who was active in the life of the community and was MP for East Suffolk between 1832 and 1836.
The Hall, a magnificent Grade II listed mansion, was later owned by Colonel George Tomline of Orwell Park and Philip Wyndham Cobbold. It was refurbished in April 2008 as a restaurant and hotel with 23 bedrooms. The Hall has had several other uses during its life, including housing five different boarding schools. There are a number of plans of the site in the Isaac Johnson map collection (ref HD11/475).