This is the earliest original document in the Record Office (SROI: HD1538/7/folio 38). It does not contain a date but it must have been written between 1100 (when Henry came to the throne) and 1119, when Herbert Losinga, Bishop of Norwich, one of the witnesses died.
The charter confirms the lands, churches and tithes given to the Priory by its founder Robert Malet and his sister Beatrix. Although set up for spiritual purposes, religious houses became large landowners in the Middle Ages.
The charter is part of the collection known as the Iveagh Manuscripts, collected and preserved by Thomas Martin.